Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Letter to the Donnybrook-Bridgetown Mail


Dear Editor,


This year, as in previous years, I'm going to have myself a "very, merry christmas" without acknowledging the 'Jesus in a manger', 'three wise men' scam. Coming originally from the pagan Scandinavian winter celebration, the concept of yule tide logs, fir trees and even the myth of St Nicholas is enough for me (albeit a bit detached from an Australian summer).


But, I hear you 'faithful' decree, it's CHRISTmas !


I celebrate every Thursday without acknowledging the Norse god Thor, Friday without the goddess Friya and January without venerating the Roman god Janus.


Just because Christians jumped on the pagan bandwagon yet again it doesn't mean us free thinkers can't indulge (as the holiday, you must admit, has been usurped by commerce) in 'good will to all men'. In fact humanists practice it 365 days a year.


Merry Xmas


A.T. Heist

No comments:

Post a Comment